On Friday, July 16, staff and friends of the Center for Women and Families (CWF) welcomed the public to its newly relocated facility at 1301 Akers Avenue in Jeffersonville. Attendees had the opportunity to tour the facility, meet with staff, and visit with a number of CWF’s local partners that provide complementary, supplemental services.
CWF’s new Southern Indiana Center (SIC) welcomes walk-ins Monday through Friday, 10 AM – 5 PM but is available 24/7/365 on the crisis line, 1-844-237-2331. Staff and advocates can also direct survivors to emergency shelter when necessary.
And now, the back story …
In 2018, CWF transitioned its underutilized Charlestown Road 10-family shelter to a mobile service model, enabling advocates to meet with survivors where they felt safest – their workplace, a friend or relative’s home, a coffee shop, or elsewhere – and provide intervention services before shelter became a necessity. Though CWF did not realize it at the time, the adaptation to a mobile model allowed for seamless continuation of services in Southern Indiana when the COVID-19 pandemic took hold.
Then, in late 2020, Clark Memorial Health generously offered CWF a new, conveniently located “home base” – rent-free – on their campus in Jeffersonville, giving CWF the chance to provide lifechanging services at an easily accessible, safe location. CWF pays only utilities for the building, increasing the amount of funds that can be directed to providing support for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.
Thank you to the following partners who joined us for Friday’s open house:
- Associates in Counseling and Psychotherapy (ACP)
- Family Health Centers of Southern Indiana
- Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana Nurse-Family Partnership
- Habitat for Humanity Clark & Floyd Indiana
- HopeCare Clinic
- Indiana Trafficking Victims Assistance Program (ITVAP)
- Ivy Tech Community College
- Justice Day Association
- LifeSpring Health Systems
- LouieConnect, a collaboration between Family Scholar House and Metro United Way
- New Washington State Bank
- Personal Counseling Services
- St. Elizabeth Catholic Charities – Marie’s Community Distribution Program
- Wellstone Regional Hospital